Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday's Answer: Accepting Recognition

"God has given you a gift.
You have talents and abilities that He will use to get His job done.
You were made for a time such as this."

Is it hard for you to accept this praise from me?

So many of us leaders struggle to accept positive recognition from others. It was always so hard for me to deeply accept honest praise. Someone would say, "You're doing such a great job!" and I would let it just glance off of me, politely responding "Thank you," all the while thinking, "They are just saying that." I didn't let their praise minister to my heart and realize that a job well done will receive recognition.

I even felt guilty sometimes receiving recognition because I didn't want to steal any glory from God. I asked my husband about this recently. He responded, "God gave you your talents and abilities to use. You ARE giving God the glory by doing the job He gave you to do to the best of your ability."

The Proverbs back this up:

"Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor.” (Prov. 20:3)
“Esteem (wisdom) and she will exalt you. Embrace her and she will honor you.” (Prov. 4:8)
“Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: ‘There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!’” (Prov. 31:28-29)

This was very comforting to me to realize that I just need to allow the Lord to let me know that He is pleased with me in whatever way He chooses. And if that's through the praise and recognition of another, then I need to graciously and gracefully receive that.

How are you doing with accepting recognition?

Leader Store where we praise some great books and leader resources just for YOU.

No comments: