Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday's Answer: Instant Breather

We here at Homeschool Group Leader get a lot of questions about how to live a balanced life when serving so many roles as a mom, wife, daughter, teacher, leader, volunteer, etc.

Elizabeth Prentiss once said something worth remembering and applying to our busy leader lives:

"If you could once make up your mind in the fear of God never to undertake more
work of any sort than you can carry on calmly, quietly, without hurry or flurry, and the instant you feel yourself growing nervous and like one out of breath, would stop and take breath--you would find this simple, common-sense rule doing for you what no prayers or tears could ever accomplish."

I remember sitting around the house a lot after my sixth child, Kathryn Elyse, was born. I had just had a baby and my van was in the shop--the perfect "excuses" for doing NOTHING and going NOWHERE. It was delightful. I lounged and I played with my newborn for two full weeks. My other kids were calmer and more well behaved. My house stayed decluttered--pretty much. I had time to piddle on projects that had been screaming at me for months.

I kept saying to myself, "Why can't it always be like this? Why do I think I have to live at warp speed?" Thoughts of rebellion against the rat race surged through my mind.

Then, I took the baby to church for the first time. Sigh. That's all she wrote. Before I knew it, all my concrete determinations to slow down came to a screeching halt. Soon, I was back in the rat race wishing for those bygone days of peace and quiet.

Leaders don't always have the luxury of sitting and lounging, but the instant we feel things getting too hectic, we can take notice and make some simple changes to slow things down a bit.

When you feel yourself getting out of breath, what's your favorite way to stop and take a breather?? Will you share some of your favorite ways that can inspire the rest of us? Do share!

Blessings for a breather or two,
Kristen
www.homeschoolgroupleader.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I turn off the internet (responsibilities) and get my home in order. I watch a movie with my daughter and decompress by processing fruit or veggies for my freezer, dehydrator or canner. I basically just turn off the noise of demands that others outside of my family have on my life and do what I know keeps me balanced---serving family and home, calmly and happily.

If I am too tired or worn out to do that, I usually just decompress by watching my favorite show on tv and cross stitching, crocheting, or embroidering for a few days (my youngest is 11, so I can do that).

Kristen said...

I have found the same thing to be true! When the rest of life feels chaotic, I slow down by centering with my family. The more that we can do together on a regular basis, the better. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Kristen